- Australian Research Council Review – Potential for Culturally Safe Research?What the ARC Review could mean for First Nations Australians The Hon Jason Clare MP announced on 30 August 2022 an independent review of the Australian Research Council Act 2001 (the ARC Review). 1. A power point of research governance The ships of governance – stewardship, leadership, and governorship – direct and steer the cultural tone of… Continue reading Australian Research Council Review – Potential for Culturally Safe Research?
- Reflecting on Sorry Day and ‘Be Brave. Make Change.’National Sorry Day commenced after the release of the 1997 Bringing Them Home Report which documented the policy of forced separation and removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from their families – the Stolen Generations. My Grandmother, Marjorie Woodrow (passed away in 2016), was stolen from her family as she recounted in her book “Long… Continue reading Reflecting on Sorry Day and ‘Be Brave. Make Change.’
- Identifying Indigenous Authors in Research PublicationsIndigenous authors can be visible in research journal articles by including their Cultural Identity (First Nation) in the byline. ‘The Australian Journal of Rural Health (AJRH) is collaborating with the open-access journal, Rural and Remote Health (RRH) and the Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine (CJRM) to advance the inclusivity and profile of Indigenous authors and… Continue reading Identifying Indigenous Authors in Research Publications
- Culturally safe editing: A chart to navigate stormy cultural watersThe purpose of this post is to provide the presentation that I gave at the IPEd2021 Conference ‘Editing on the Edges’. The content consists of a MS PowerPoint presention and the speech notes.
- Are cultural safety definitions culturally safe?Preprint article for public comment: https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1179330/v1 Abstract Cultural safety is a keystone reform concept intended to improve First Nations Peoples’ health and wellbeing. Are definitions of cultural safety, in themselves, culturally safe? A purposive search of diverse sources in Australia identified 42 definitions of cultural safety. Structuration theory informed the analytical framework and was applied… Continue reading Are cultural safety definitions culturally safe?
- Cultural Rigour in Aboriginal Health Programs and ResearchI recently gave a presentation at the 8th Rural and Remote Health Scientific Symposium (online, 6th October 2021). Here’s a link to the blog post and my full presentation (link), which is based on the concept of cultural rigour. 1. Cultural Rigour Definition—So What? Yep, another definition, and definitions are something that I love examining,… Continue reading Cultural Rigour in Aboriginal Health Programs and Research
- Cultural Rigour in Aboriginal Patient Reported Outcome MeasuresMark’s presentation at the 8th Rural and Remote Health Scientific Symposium, a virtual show, on 6th October 2021. CC BY 4.0 Citation: Lock, M.J. & Tinsley, M. (2021). Cultural rigour in Aboriginal Patient Reported Outcomes for the NSW Health System. Online presentation (PowerPoint Slides) to the 8th Rural and Remote Health Scientific Symposium, 6-7 October… Continue reading Cultural Rigour in Aboriginal Patient Reported Outcome Measures
- Aboriginal Data Sovereignty & PROMs1. What does PROMS data management look like? In post no. 17 (over on the Rural Health Pro Platform), I talked about Aboriginal Data Sovereignty and Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROM). In this post, I get a bit more involved with what that looks like. Ok, what’s PROM data management look like? Here’s a flow… Continue reading Aboriginal Data Sovereignty & PROMs
- Journal article alert – culturally safe language assessmentZupan, B., Campbell-Woods, N., & Thompson, H. (2021). Scoping review: Language assessment practices for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in Australia and guidelines for clinical practice. Australian Journal of Rural Health. #lockedupknowledge for at $USD42.00 https://doi.org/10.1111/ajr.127661. 1. Summary: This cool scoping literature review (I love literature reviews!) found 9 studies on the topic of language assessment… Continue reading Journal article alert – culturally safe language assessment
- A cultural safety lensIt’s often difficult to “see” cultural safety because it’s a philosophy of intangible concepts: power, identity, culture, and reflexivity. In this drawing, which is my eye rendered in pencil using MS PowerPoint’s artistic effects, I want to convey a sense of how cultural safety is lens to view the world. I used the Bin-Sallik/Williams hybrid… Continue reading A cultural safety lens
#lockedupknowledge closing the gap cultural formulation model cultural identity Cultural Rigour Cultural Safety Definition Editing First Nations Australians Identity language assessment Patient Reported Outcome Measures Quality Appraisal Scientific Rigour speech pathology
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.